Vacancy: Secretariat Officer
Job Title: Secretariat Officer
Date Compiled: 29 March 2018
Responsible to: Society Secretary
Engages with: Secretariat Team, Chief Executive, PA to Chief Executive, Senior Management Team, Directors and Members
Hours per week: 40 hours (09.00 – 17.00) inclusive of one hour paid meal break per day
Further hours required in the lead up to, and during, the Royal Highland Show, for which overtime is payable (max. 60 hours).
Since 1784, The Royal Highland and Agricultural Society of Scotland (RHASS), has been the respected standard-bearer for farming and rural industry in Scotland. With around 16,000 members, its key remit is to promote Scotland's land-based and allied businesses. A registered charity, the Society plays a pivotal role in the creation of a better understanding of the management of Scotland's land and rural resources.
The Secretariat is responsible for servicing and managing the membership of the Society and supporting and advising the Board of Directors and its Committees. The role will be of interest to someone who likes a mixture of structured work (around membership and meetings) with the opportunity to conduct projects under the Society Secretary’s supervision and proactively tackle tasks which arise. It is likely to appeal to candidates with relevant experience as well as to recent graduates.
The role covers two main areas with the Secretariat: Membership and Board support.
- Assisting with administration and support of the Society’s Membership functions;
- Assisting the Society Secretary with development and promotion of membership benefits;
- Dealing with telephone and email enquiries from Society members, directors, the public and other stakeholders, in a timely and appropriate manner;
- Assisting the Society Secretary in organising and managing the annual programme of meetings of the Board of Directors and its Committees to facilitate the efficient conduct of business and decision-making;
- Providing an efficient administrative support service to RHASS’s Board of Directors and its Committees;
- Assisting the Society Secretary in supporting the Directors, including assisting with the administration of Director election and induction;
- Maintaining accurate files and records and making all statutory returns and filings for the Society and other bodies for which the Society provides secretariat or administrative services;
- Providing administrative support to and Trusts and/or bodies for which the Society provides secretariat or administrative services;
- Liaising with Office Services and Reception to ensure delivery of all internal Society meetings;
- Distributing and dealing with incoming departmental mail on a daily basis;
- Providing general administrative support to the Society Secretary as required
- Developing an understanding of the work of the Society, and making and maintaining relationships with its stakeholders;
- Undertaking other duties as appropriate and required.
- Professionalism, self-motivation and flexibility in approach to the organisation’s requirements;
- Excellent planning, organisational, communication (written and oral) and administration skills;
- Good attention to detail;
- Problem solving skills, capable of using own initiative when required;
- Proficient knowledge of the Office Suite, particularly Outlook, Word and Excel; knowledge of CRM systems would be advantageous but not essential as training will be given;
- Ability to plan and prioritise own workload, taking into account various time constraints and pressures;
- Ability to work conscientiously with minimum supervision;
- Confidence in communicating appropriately with contacts at all levels with tact and diplomacy;
- Respecting the need for confidentiality within all aspects of the role;
- Due to the location of the position, a full driver’s licence would be advantageous.
- Annual holiday entitlement beginning from 20 days per annum, in addition to 10 public holidays and up to 4 discretionary Directors days to be taken between Christmas and New Year
- Contributory pension scheme under which RHASS contributes 10% of basic salary on the provision that you contribute 6%.
Sign up to our newsletter.
Join our mailing list and get the latest news about RHASS.