Vacancy: Assistant Event Planner (Maternity Cover – 6 Months Minimum)
Job Title: Royal Highland Centre Assistant Event Planner (Maternity Cover – 6 Months Minimum)
Accountable to: RHASS Commercial Director
Working hours: 40 hours per week
The Royal Highland & Agricultural Society of Scotland (RHASS) is a long established Scottish Charity that exists to support and encourage the very best of agriculture, communicate and bring to life its value and develop a greater appreciation of the impact of agriculture on everyday life – it achieves this through delivering the aspirations of our stakeholders. The RHASS is perhaps best known for the Royal Highland Show in June – a showcase of all the best in food, farming and rural life. However, this only represents around 50% of its revenue. The Royal Highland Centre (RHC) is Edinburgh’s largest events venue and welcomes over 1 million people every year to over 220 events, including outdoor/indoor music events, car/track events and consumer lifestyle events.
In addition, the commercial operation of the 280-acre estate adjacent to Edinburgh Airport generates further income to allow the charitable aims of the RHASS to be met.
RHASS has significant aspirations to grow the use of the RHC as well as improving the quality of the physical assets. It is committed to developing the facility and growing the commercial income streams from the new and more intensive use of the land asset.
The Assistant Event Planner position will be a temporary position, covering maternity leave for a minimum period of 6 months. A three-month probationary period will apply. This post is full time and based at the Head Quarters of RHC at Ingliston Gardens, Edinburgh EH28 8NB but may involve occasional travel through Scotland and elsewhere in the UK. Applicants must have a full driving licence.
Main purpose of the post
The Assistant Event Planner role will be key in supporting the Commercial Director and the RHC Sales Team in the delivery of over 220 events a year. The role will be responsible for the event support at the RHC including the event planning and delivery for clients. Managing telephone enquiries and ensuring a high standard of customer service at all times, including face to face both internally and externally, will be essential. The role will also provide administrative support to the Commercial Director, as the RHC looks to build on their already excellent reputation as the venue for choice for event organisers.
Key Tasks and responsibilities:
• Assist with the day-to-day running of the events, undertaking any administrative related activity that may be deemed necessary.
• Maintain effective administration systems, including accurate and comprehensive data entry onto computerised systems, in line with Company requirements and procedures. This may include the website and social media.
• Liaise with Sales Managers on clients contracts to ensure the smooth and effective delivery of nominated events.
• Ensure that any invoicing is accurately and promptly undertaken.
• Make appointments with clients as part of their venue contract where they will require a site visit.
• Liaise regularly, and participate as required in meetings, with nominated customers.
• Liaise with the Venue Event Manager to ensure the smooth running of the client's event requirements.
• Liaise with external third parties associated with clients events e.g Traffic Management
• Support the Sales Department where necessary.
• Support the Commercial Director at all times and in a confidential manner.
Person specification requirements
Skills / Knowledge / Experience
• A broad base of sales administration expertise.
• Proven experience and knowledge of CRM systems.
• Basic understanding of the sales and marketing process.
• Excellent attention to detail and numeracy skills.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• A team player with a flexible working style.
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and within budget constraints and manage multiple priorities.
• Effective skills in event planning, presentation and communication.
• Ability to use initiative and work alone or as part of a team.
• Proficient in Excel, & Word to advanced level.
• Good networking skills.
• Professional approach, maturity and confidence especially when representing the company externally.
• Pro-active and able to work on own initiative, managing workload independently.
• Flexible approach to working hours, including weekends, when necessary.
• Commitment and hard work a priority.
• Maintain confidentiality of 3rd party agencies and clients.
• Strength of character.
• Desire to learn and develop as an individual.